In recent years, more and more businesses are discovering the benefits of utilizing mini storage. This is especially true for businesses that want to avoid tying up valuable real estate or floor space for certain items that are rarely needed for day-to-day operations. And, when businesses experience a period of quick growth or just need to cut back on office storage and/or warehousing, self storage facilities provide convenient solutions. In fact, about 30 percent of all the self storage units in the country are occupied by business clients.
Outsourcing Your Business Storage Needs
There are many different aspects for running a business that cost-conscious managers and owners will consider to help the bottom line. Storage is one of these considerations. Today’s self storage facilities can be viewed by a business as a small-scale warehouse, a company’s archive, and possibly even a product distribution center. Anything that a business owns that isn’t used daily can be kept in a single location providing users with round-the-clock access. Many storage facilities cater to business clients providing these customers with greater access to upgraded facilities, especially when the storage is acting as a distribution point. Companies can set up a storage unit as a stocking location where items easily can be dispatched at all hours of the day and night – and on short notice.
An Industry That Has Evolved
The storage industry has evolved in recent years incorporating a number of different services catering to business clients. In fact, many of these storage facilities offer features that are much more cost-effective for businesses such as providing typical office services like fax, Internet access, and meeting areas. Also, some also offer mail box rentals, and keep a variety of different shipping and mailing supplies for sale. There are also storage facilities that specialize in offering commercial services that are designed for business needs. Typical storage needs of a business includes:
- Archiving paperwork and documents
- Storing other items that aren’t needed on a daily basis and thus freeing up office space
- Downsizing may produce the need to store equipment and office furniture
- Stock might be stored that is seasonal in nature and can be used during the next cycle
- Storage might be a good place to keep excessive stock, sales rep samples, tradeshow displays and other exhibition equipment that will be used once again
- Storage units might prove valuable to businesses that want to stock up on office supplies allowing the company to take advantage of discounted bulk purchases
- Some businesses can actually use a self storage unit for a small distribution center
Businesses find that self storage units offer flexible arrangements that are convenient and secure whether the business is small or large. No matter the size of the business, a smart company is always looking to save money and increase its efficiency. Therefore, incorporating a self storage component into an operating business plan continues to become increasingly popular.
Cost Benefits of Self Storage
- Some benefits of businesses who free up valuable real estate when downsizing or putt such space to better use include:No yearly leases required when there is the capability for paying month-to-month for short-term needs
- Business owners realize self storage rental rates can be easily competitive with office space costs
- Discounts are available for pre-paying storage
- Business storage needs usually allow for installing shelving units, at an additional cost, helping maximize the space being rented
- Many commercial storage facilities that cater to business needs offer a free delivery acceptance service eliminating the need to transfer delivered items from the office to the storage unit
More storage benefits that businesses can take advantage of are:
Security – Storage facilities offering 24-hour security provide business owners with definite peace of mind. This extends to the knowledge that an off-site storage facility protects valuable documents in the event of an office fire. The rental space is individually assigned with the business using a designated lock and keeping the keys
Convenience – Extended hour access, or possibly 24/7, provides a good deal of convenience. Typical storage units have drive-up access with roller doors making it easy, saving both effort and time. Many storage facilities catering to business needs have meeting rooms that are free of charge. Also, for business customers that make use of items like packing materials, many facilities offer these for sale.
Flexible – Business owners can take advantage of the month-to-month storage flexibility that allows short-term notice when vacating. Self storage allows businesses that experience up and down changes to also alter the size of the storage unit rented to meet specific current needs. This can make the upsizing and downsizing of business easier to deal with.